Thursday, July 19, 2012

From Sister Beckstrands blog



Sisters Fors and Cottrell spend quality time on phones and chats during each of their shifts at the VC.  These are their stories.
Sister Fors:
I became acquainted with Caitie during an incoming chat.  She was referred to us by her pregnancy coach, who was LDS.  When she told us she was interested in attending our church we looked up the nearest ward building to her - which was 45 minutes away.  She went to that ward the following Sunday but didn't have a particularly wonderful experience.  The following week she attended church with her friend and she thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  When we next talked with her over chat, we challenged her to read the Book of Mormon.  She was THRILLED with it!  She told us she always felt that the Bible had things missing, but that the Book of Mormon seemed complete.  She knew that it was true immediately.  She then started reading the Doctrine and Covenants, and really felt the Spirit as she read.  After several weeks the local missionaries finally showed up at her house and she was so prepared that they gave her four lessons in one sitting!  She had some health issues, along with Word of Wisdom challenges, but after the Elders gave her a blessing she was able to quit smoking and her health made a dramatic turn for the better.  She asked to be baptized right away, and they gave her the baptismal interview and baptized her the next day!
Sister Cottrell:
I met a girl in her 20's at the Visitors' Center during Easter Pageant.  She came up to the desk and asked if we had any movies about families.  I told her yes, and the Spirit prompted me to ask her why she was looking for movies about families.  She told me her dad had passed away recently and things didn't end well between them.  She wanted to know if she would ever see him again so that she could make things right.  All I could say was, "I can help you."  I took her through God's Plan for His Family and testified that we can be with our loved ones again after this life if we accept baptism into Christ's church and live worthy of that blessing.  She told me she had met with pastors and preachers of all kinds and nothing felt right, but she had never in her life felt like this before.  The grandpa who died in the movie looked exactly like her dad, and she said somehow she had a special feeling that what she had seen was true.  I told her I would like to keep in touch and be there for her, but she didn't leave a number or address for me to follow up.
About four months later I was taking a family through God's Plan and the experience with that girl came to my mind.  I thought, "I wonder whatever happened to her. I hope she found her way."  My shift at the back greet ended and I went into the Art Exhibit for my next assignment.  I caught a familiar face as a few people were walking around the room, but it didn't register for a minute that I knew her!  All I could think to say was, "Hey!"  She turned around and when she saw me she came up to me and gave me a great big hug and told me thank you.  She was with some missionaries and her boyfirend, and she said that even though she had a long way to go she was going to church and she was on the right track to become a member.  She told me, "It's true, so it's ok."  I know if the spirit hadn't put her face in my head a few minutes before I saw her, I wouldn't have recognized her because it had been a long time and there had been a lot of people at the Visitors' Center the night I first met her.  How blessed we are to work here and see the tender mercies of the Lord first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment