Monday, February 11, 2013

FOLLOWING THE SPIRIT 2-11-13


Hola!
It's a cold and rainy day here in AZ! We are grateful for the English sisters with a car that can take us around on pday. This week has been pretty eventful. I sent Sister Holladay and Sister Sordes home. That was sad. But i'm sure they are enjoying being with family. I went out with the english sisters on splits while I waited till Wednesday to get my new companion. I was soooo excited for an american meal.. Chicken/potatoes/steak... Guess what we ate? Mexican food! I just laughed and said, of course :) It was really interesting going out with the English sisters though. We went and saw this lady that they are teaching and she speaks Spanish too so I taught her the plan of salvation in spanish and she can feel the spirit and understand better in spanish so it was good that I was able to teach. It was really cool too because whenever the english sisters would talk, they didn't understand me, but they were spot on and they would even repeat some of the things that I would say or ask. That's when you know you are all teaching by the spirit :) English work actually made me a little homesick! I guess being in real homes with real couches reminds me of home! It surprised me. It was really fun though, i'm glad I got to go.
The promptings of the spirit are starting to become clearer and clearer to me. It's like elder Bednar said, "one of the ways you can distinguish if the spirit is telling you something is if you really don't want to do it, you should probably do it" We were going to visit some people and then we were on our way.. I thought.. eh we should go see Marta and see how she's doing. In the same trailer park there was a lady sitting outside. Apparently she's never home (i've been in that trailer park probably 100 times and i've never seen her) but she just happened to be there. I invited her to the easter pageant and started talking to her. After about 5 min we come to find out that she is a member, she's gone through the temple and she's been inactive for 12 years. She got offended by someone. I asked her if she still believes it's true and she said yes and that she still reads the Book of Mormon. She said that she's completely alone and no one cares about her.. not even her 6 kids that have grown up and moved away. I told her that she has a family at the church and we were there to help her but she kept saying, "Nope, i'm alone!" Before I walked away I asked her to think about this question, "Do you have a testimony of the church? Or do you have a testimony of the people?" To my surprise she sat there for a min and said, "i'm going to think about that" I told her we would stop by when we were in the area. 
Another time when i felt a prompting was when I saw this little boy playing soccer by himself. I said hi and then rode off. I then thought... nah, lets go play soccer with him. So we went over there and started kicking the ball back and forth. I was thinking about all the people that we needed to visit, but the spirit said... just wait. So we waited and out walks his uncle. I continued to kick the ball around (so they wouldn't go back inside) while Hermana Newton talked to the Uncle (Jorge). We found out that Jorge has taken some lessons before and knows all about the church he asked what "ward" we're in- that's when you know they know alot. He wants to learn more! So we taught him and set up a return appointment. 
The last one i'll share is when we were biking home from a long day and we were so hungry. I passed a different trailer park and remembered we had a referral there. I knew the referral guy wouldn't be home because he works during that time, but I knew we needed to go over there. So we turned around. (Poor Sister Newton- I always just randomly turn around) We found his next door neighbors home fixing some bikes. I said, "hey! Will you fix MY bike?" I started teasing them and found out something interesting! The kid said, "hey I have that book!" I asked him if he still reads it and he said he did. Apparently, him and his brother and sister got baptized like 3 years ago (but not their parents) and they moved.. so they didn't know which church to go to so they just didn't go. We are excited to go back and teach the parents and the whole family together.
This week we taught the Young Women at mutual in the English ward. The leaders wanted us to come because the elders serve in their ward. That was really fun! We talked about spiritual experiences that we've had on the mission and we talked about gross things we've eaten and how a mission can change their lives. It's good to reflect and what not.
We are still teaching Ana.. She's... like my best friend. I love her. I'm so glad we started teaching her again. I think I like her so much because she thinks i'm hilarious. I don't know why.. anyway, I have seen how Heavenly Father has been preparing her when I left the area the first time. Ana lost her 22 year old son a couple years ago. He was murdered in Mexico and she is still devastated. That being said we had a really powerful Plan of Salvation lesson. We also had a church tour with her and she is really making progress. I hope round 2 will be her time to join the church. 
I am loving my companion! It's so fun working with someone that came out the same time as me! I just realized that we haven't taken any pictures together! I actually don't think i've taken any pictures at all this week! I will do better.
The chapter is 3NE 11.. I studied this chapter this morning. Pay attention to the order that Christ does things and teaches the people, it's really interesting. Hope you can feel the spirit as you read it, I did :)
Love you all! Happy Valentines day!
Pray for me
Seek for the Eternal
Hermana Cottrell

No comments:

Post a Comment