Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Back in the VC

Happy Birthday to Cami and Happy anniversary to mom and dad! Yay! I wish I could send you all a pinata and a sombrero! 
It's been a long week! Probably because my p-day is Tuesday this week and then i'll rotate to Monday next week because I am back in the VC. I lovvvvve being back in the VC. Although, I learned a ton of Spanish while being full field. It was the best "welcome back" surprise when a girl walked in that I had talked to a couple months ago. She came in sometime in March and she talked to me about going on a mission but she was confused and upset because she never got that big, huge answer that she NEEDS to go. I just looked at her and said, "neither did I." She was so surprised. I explained the scripture in D&C 4, "If ye have a desire to serve, ye are called to the work" I told her I prayed about it and Heavenly Father didn't tell me no, so I went! Well, she came in this week and she said that after she talked to me she sent in her papers and she is leaving in July to California, Spanish speaking (I can't remember which mission specifically) She said, "you were the reason I turned in my papers" (which I'm sure she was just being nice) but that was so rewarding! She'll be such a good missionary. 
I have another "Alex" situation. I have an investigator at the VC that I call every week and teach him over the phone. He has a gf that is LDS so he wants to learn more. I sent the missionaries to his house and now he's going to institute and wanting to get baptized but still wants me to answer is questions, which is fine with me because most of the time you don't always get to know the end of the story at the VC. 
We went to this "boot camp" thing in the morning with the elders and "Joe" was the trainer. Turns out, he's a guy that came into the VC once and spilled his guts to me about all his woahs and problems (which i'm happy to listen to of course) but everyone was saying, "Joe is sooo tough" and stuff like that. I thought to myself, and... i might of said it out loud a little bit, "he's not that tough, I know all his problems" I guess I ate my words the next day when I my arms were a little sore... But I still couldn't take him seriously as he was yelling at us.. please.
We have a new art exhibit in the VC! It's really pretty. The artist is Liz Lemon Swindle. You'll have to look up her art work online. The exhibit goes all summer :) I had a lady come talk to me at the back desk after she went through it. She started to cry and told me how beautiful it was. I started to talk and she cut me off and said, "No... I KNOW that my Redeemer lives. Jesus came to me and taught me everything and He came to me and taught me tithing." What do you say to that? She was a really nice lady. She's a regular.
  I am starting to do media calls in Spanish! I did my first one yesterday and was able to have him agree to have the missionaries come visit him! Something I've really learned lately is that when you cast out all fear, the Lord really takes care of the rest. And Sister Fors helps me a lot too of course :) 
I got a letter from gma Crandall about a "colored lady" (as she put it) she talked to on the plane that lives in Mesa. Edweina. Gma got her number and gave it to me to call because she needs friends! What a great missionary! Good job. I called her yesterday, but she was at work- but she wants me to call today! Thanks for the referral Grandma! Hopefully I can get her to come into the VC so I can meet her. 
Anyway, it's been a good week. I am singing in the Spanish fireside with Elder Samuels on Sunday so Sister Beckstrand and I have been practicing when I am on shift a little bit. It's some dramatic song (right up my ally). I'm a little nervous, but it should work out fine.
Love you guys! The chapter this week is Mosiah 26. Always be willing to bear His name :)
SFTE
Love, 
Sister Cottrell 


No comments:

Post a Comment