Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Hola -Happy Mother's Day!

Hola Familia!

So I forgot to mention that my p-day will be every Monday now that I am full field. I probably should have mentioned that a little sooner. 
This week has been good. Really hot. It's usually over 100 degrees everyday now. I am excited to skype next week on Mothers Day! I need to know what time. I could either do it in the morning or at night. Sister Fors wants to skype at 6pm so that her family can all be there.. but I know it'll be late in Georgia for the kids if you were planning on doing a conference call with everyone. I will call at around 10:15ish on Sunday morning to see what is best I guess. I don't really know what to do and what everyone's schedules are. I hope it works out. 
I have some good news! Alex- the kid I met like the first or second day at the visitors center with his gf that I committed to baptism.. He's getting baptized on Saturday! I am so excited. I am kinda bummed though because he lives out of the mission so there's no way I could get permission to go. But I will have to tell him to come back to the VC so I can get a picture with him or something. I am proud of him. Him and his gf broke up, which was sad but it's kinda good though because now we for sure know he is doing it for himself. I called him the other day and he said "ever since I came into the VC and talked to you and started this whole thing, everything is going sooooooo well" 

This week we went on splits with another sister. Sister Falcon. She could easily be my companion next transfer but we will see. She is a native spanish speaker so I was a little nervous but it actually went really well. At the end of the day when she was giving me feedback she said that I don't sound like a greeny when I talk and that my Spanish is really good. I needed to hear that. She also started to cry and said that she needed to come with us because she learned more from us than we did from her! She is a sweetheart. 

We have an activity coming up in our ward this friday "Dia de las Madres" (mothers day) we are having a dinner and dance. We were in charge of the invitations and they were kind of a pain. They took way longer than they should have... but.. they are really cute. We attached the Proclamation to the World to the back of it- (with a bow of course) It's a really good missionary tool. We're inviting everyone and their dog (chiuahua) I think it will be a success. 

I hope you kept that sister missionary in her prayers that lost her sister last week. That kinda shook us all up. I wonder if dad knew anything about it she is from Utah. It was the Shurtz family and it was a disabled 26 year old named Lacey and her dad was feeding her breakfast and she chocked. Horrible. I have been doing everything I can for Sister Shurtz. I felt so sick for her. I don't know how she has been coping with it all but we have all been praying for her. She has been my really good friend out here and she is so awesome. She has been hanging in there though and has kept going. She's definitely one of my heros.

We are hoping to have two baptisms this Saturday. Our goal is three this month but our problem is getting them to come to church! It's the most annoying thing in the world to call, text, and remind people to come to church everyday and have no one show up! Agency is frustrating. I swear Satan has the keys to all of our investigators houses. 
We don't know if Rosie's baptism is going to happen anymore. Her dad wants her to be baptized Catholic... he doesn't even go to church or practice what he believes. He believes in watching TV. Not a joke. Ivette will be baptized for sure this month though. She is so awesome.  She's 12 and understands the Book of Mormon so well. Her mom was baptized in the church in Mexico but doesn't go anymore and when we asked her if she would like to come back to church with her daughter she said "oh i'm just not ready to come back, I know it's true but I'm not ready" Weird. Ivette is a rock though. 

I sang in the VC choir at a fireside last night. It was good everyone liked it. I have been seeing lots of people I know at the VC and I don't even work there right now! I saw Mike Larson and his fiance, Clayton Merrills best friend on his mission that just got back, one of Aumberly's old companions AND a friend from Provo that served here in mesa 2 and a half years ago. It was crazy because we figured out that one of the people he baptized was a lady that went out on splits with Sister Fors and I like 2 days before. Crazy. 

The chapter this week is Alma 32. How can you strengthen not just your faith, but others around you. As we strengthen others faith, we are strengthening ours. Faith is a verb. "Faith is the commitment and confidence is we keep the commandments, God will bless us" -PMG  Also I really like these couple quotes "Satan trembles when he sees the weakest servant of the Lord on his knees" "The only thing we can give God that He doesn't already have is our will" "if we have the spirit, you will have peace in your heart no matter the circumstances.(paraphrased by George Q. Cannon.)

Love you all! Hope to talk to you on Sunday. Happy Mothers Day marrrm :) Love you! Thankk you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for the package too!! That was so fun to get! I loved all the pictures.. except the ones with you and Dad kissing... ew. But I got them all and Sister Fors loved looking at all the pics too because she went on a study abroad there! Cool huh? anyway.. no more time! Love you all!

Love,
Sister Cottrell
SFTE

No comments:

Post a Comment