Monday, September 24, 2012

ELDER BEDNAR'S VISIT SEPT 2012


Hey fam!
It's been a pretty good week! The amazing highlight was Elder Bednar came to speak to us. WOW. I am still absorbing everything. We all went up and shook his hand and for the first hour and a half or so he talked about how agents vs objects. How we need to treat people like agents. Help them learn themselves. That's exactly what he did for us. We were told to read 2 talks by him before he came and when he came all he asked was, "what did you learn" As the missionaries commented, he would ask questions and teach from what they said. At the end he asked if anyone of us had gotten an answer to a prayer during it even if the answer wasn't said... every hand went up. I was sitting right in the middle about 3 rows back and I swear he only talking to me at certain parts of his teaching. He was reading D&C 80 and said "this was for you" and looked me in the eyes while he said it. 2 people from the 70 came too. Elder Pipper and... I can't remember the other one. Elder Piper told us how lucky we were to be there. He was right. Out of all the billions of people that have don't even know what an apostle is.. I got to personally meet and talk with one. Someone with the same authority as Peter, James and John. Elder Bednar said that since we have had the opportunity to listen to an apostle, we are more accountable and held more responsible. The last hour and a half he did a Q&A session. Coolest thing EVER. He taught us sooo much. He said that we would never have this opportunity do this in our lives.. so make it a good question. I knew I wanted to ask a question, but I didn't want to just ask one just to ask one. I wanted it to be lead by the spirit. I swear he was just waiting for me to ask a question because he kept looking at me like, "I know you have a question"... I think he waited, because right when I raised my hand out of the 50 hands that were up, he picked me, answered the question and then ended the meeting. I asked him what his definition of a consecrated missionary was. He said that it was dedication and devotion. He said, "To GET OUT OF THE WAY"... Give everything to the Lord. It's not about us. Get out of the way and let the Lord do his work. He said some other stuff, but told us not to write it down. It was amazing to say the least. I felt like Lehi after he had his vision and cast himself on his bed because I was so tired afterwards from feeling the spirit so strong. He envoked a blessing on our mission, which was powerful. And he thanked us for coming prepared so he could come and teach in his "true identity" because he doesn't "cast perls to swine." He is so inspired and truly called of God. I just thought to myself... this man is not a liar. How could any man deny that he is called of God to declare his word. It was a really special experience.
This week is my 9 months! Weird... i'm more than 1/2 way... Earlier this week we had a two day training for all the leaders in the mission. It was really good and insightful. It really humbled Sister Mendoza because that put her incharge of our area and she was lost all day. Transfers are next week but I am doing the 12 week program with Sister Mendoza, so it's expected that we will stick together.
Something cool that happed was that the night before we had set our goals to have a lesson with a member present, but we didn't know how it was going to happen because I had my meetings all day and then the VC all night. Well... this is a testimony to me that if you're doing your best, the Lord will make up for the rest. Not only did our investigator show up at the VC, but he came with a member... not only that... but the VC was so slow that we were able to have a lesson with him. hahaha the Lord does what he wants. So cool.
Anyway.. that's about my week. I am more blonde! I did it on p-day last week I will have to send some pictures. Thank you for all your prayers and support! Love you all!
The chapter is D&C 80 this week. How can you treat your children, spouses, friends and people around you like agents instead of objects that are to be acted apon? Elder Bednar said the secret to parenting or teaching investigators is to teach them to not need you and to be independent as soon as possible. It's harder and takes more time, but that is what is going to convert them and we need to be continually converted to survive. So true
Love you
SFTE
Sister Cottrell 

No comments:

Post a Comment